Dr. LaReau specializes in joint preservation and reconstruction of the hip and knee. He is one of the few double-fellowship trained surgeons in the Chicagoland area, and completed his advanced surgical training at the renowned New England Baptist Hospital (Tufts Medical Center) and Children's Hospital of Boston (Harvard Medical School).
During more than 10 years in surgical practice, he has performed thousands of joint replacement procedures, including minimally invasive anterior approach hip replacement and robotic-assisted MAKO knee and hip arthroplasty. He serves as an instructor for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and hosts visiting physicians learning minimally invasive surgical techniques.
His academic work includes award-winning research, multiple peer-reviewed publications, and textbook chapter authorship. He serves on the orthopedic quality and leadership committees for multiple hospital systems and works as a consultant for a local Ironman™ Triathlon racing team.
His charitable endeavors have included surgical mission work in South America, as well as many educational lectures throughout the Chicagoland community.
- Fellowship, Children's Hospital Boston/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Fellowship, New England Baptist Hospital/Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA
- Residency, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI
- M.D., University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Certified Independent Medical Examiner (ABIME)
- Anliker, LW, LaReau, JM. Disassociation of an Anteriorly Implanted Dual-mobility Component with Migration to the Distal Posterior Thigh: A Case Report. 2020 JBJS Case Connector
- Maldanado D, LaReau JM, Perets I, Ortiz V, Laseter JR, Lall A, Domb BG. Outcomes of Hip Athroscopy with Concomitant Periacetabular Osteotomy: Minimum 5-year follow-up. Arthroscopy: Volume 35, Issue 3, Pages 826–834
- Trenga TT, LaReau JM, Close M, Domb BG. “Partial ligamentum teres (LT) tears are associated with larger labra & smaller labral tears than complete LT tears.” Journal of Hip Preservation Surgery, Volume 5, Issue 4, 1 December 2018, Pages 404–40
- Maldanado, D, LaReau, JM, Domb BG. Concomitant Hip Arthroscopy and Labral Reconstructon and Periacetabular Osteotomy. Arthroscopy Techniques 2018 Oct 15;7(11):e1141-1147
- Domb BG, Redmond JM, Louis SS, Alden KA, Daley RJ, LaReau JM, Petrakos AE, Gui CE, Suarez-Ahedo C. Accuracy of Component Positioning in 1980 Total Hip Arthroplasties: A Comparative Analysis by Surgical Technique and Mode of Guidance. J Arthroplasty. 2015 Dec; 30(12): 2208-18
- Domb BG, LaReau, JM, Hammarstedt JE, Gupta A, Stake CE, Redmond, JM Concomitant Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy. 2015 Nov;31(11):2199-206
- Hingsammer A, Lee CB, LaReau JM, Kim YJ “Is Acetabular Osteoplasty Always Required in Mixed Impingement?” Eur J Orthop Surg Trauma 2015 Feb; 25(2): 331-8
- Domb BG, LaReau JM, Redmond JR “Combined Hip Arthroscopy and Periacetabular Osteotomy: Indications, Advantages, Technique, and Complications: Arthrosc Tech. 2014 Feb; 3(1): e95–e100
- Talmo CT, Malinowska MM, Sharp KG, Robbins C, and LaReau JM “Disassociation of Cobalt Chrome Head from a Titanium Stem: A Report of Two Cases and Review of the Literature” 2014 June; 37(6):e592-5
- Domb BG, LaReau JM, Baydoun H, Botser I, Yen YM “Is Intra-articular Pathology Common in Hip Dysplasia Patients Undergoing PAO?”. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. Feb 2014
- Jackson TJ, Watson J, LaReau, MD, Domb BG. “Periacetabular Osteotomy and Arthroscopic Labral Repair after Failed Hip Arthroscopy Due to Iatrogenic Aggravation of Hip Dysplasia.” Knee Surg Sports Traumatology. 2013
- LaReau, JM, M. Kearney APN, ONC, M. Nottoli APN, ONC, K. Sharp MS, PA-C. “The PAO Patient: Excellent outcomes through collaboration”. NAON Annual Congress, Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center, May 2013, San Antonio, TX.
- LaReau, JM, Robbins, C DPT, Carl Talmo MD, Abdel Mehio MD, Lalit Puri MD and James V Bono, MD. “Complications of Femoral Nerve Blockade in Total Knee Arthroplasty and Strategies to Reduce Patient Risk.” Journal of Arthroplasty 27 (4) 564-568
- LaReau, JM, M. Kearney APN, ONC, M. Nottoli APN, ONC, K. Sharp MS, PA-C. “The PAO Patient: Excellent outcomes through collaboration”. Advocate Research and Innovation Forum 2012, Advocate Christ Medical Center, October 2012, Oak Lawn, IL.
Partner, Hinsdale Orthopaedics
- Hinsdale Hospital
- La Grange Memorial Hospital
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- Elmhurst Memorial Hospital
- Salt Creek Surgery Center
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)